Thursday, January 06, 2005

Gitanjali Excerpt #1


When the heart is hard and parched up, come upon me with a shower of mercy.
When grace is lost from life, come with a burst of song.

When tumultuous work raises its din on all sides shutting me out from beyond, come to me, my lord of silence, with thy peace and rest.

When my beggarly heart sits crouched, shut up in a corner, break open the door, my king, and come with the ceremony of a king.

When desire blinds the mind with delusion and dust, O thou holy one, thou wakeful, come with thy light and thy thunder.

-- Rabindranath Tagore,
Gitanjali,
No. XXXIX


Comments:
Very nice. I must read the Tagore book you gave me.

This poem reminds me of the Sanskrit shloka at the end of Matrix Revolutions. It can be translated as : Deliver me from darkness to light, Deliver me to eternal life and free me from the endless cycle of death and rebirth etc. I don't remember the whole thing right now.

Tagore's piece is a more personal level, but is still essentially a prayer.
 
So you sat through the ending credits of Matrix Revolutions! I was also quite amazed to discover those Sanskrit shlokas there (which are really very congruous in the context of the movie and its conclusion):

asato ma sadgamaya
tamaso ma jyotirgamaya
mrityor ma amritamgamaya

(lead me from untruth to truth
lead me from darkness to light
lead me from death to immortality)

The poem in the post is indeed a supplication of this kind. I'll also be posting poems from Gitanjali that are in quite a different key :)
 
So you remember it :) Thanks for refreshing my memory too. I'm thinking of posting from the Geeta.

Check this link:
http://www.chinmayauk.org/Resources/Downloads.htm
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?